Myth #1 – Mold is harmless.

While it’s certainly possible that mold might be harmless to you, it’s undeniable that mold can and will cause damage to your personal belongings if it is allowed to spread unchecked. The harm mold can cause varies wildly depending on the kind of mold and the kind of person – people with mold allergies or compromised immune systems can be very susceptible to mold infections.

Myth #2: All black mold is bad.

In reality, there are plenty of molds that look black, and many of them are common and not very dangerous. The specific kind of mold that people normally think of when they think of black mold is something called “Stachybotrys”, which is a dangerous mold with a variety of negative health effects.

Myth #3: Dead mold can’t cause health issues.

Mold goes dormant until the conditions are favorable for regrowth, but even dormant mold can be harmful to your health. Mold release spores before going dormant, allowing it to reproduce and reappear, especially if the underlying moisture and ventilation issues haven’t been resolved. Proper treatment by trained professionals is necessary to correctly identify and treat mold before it gets out of hand.

Myth #4: Mold and mildew are completely different things.

Mildew is actually a type mold! The word mildew is frequently used to refer to specific kinds of mold.

Myth #5: A small amount of mold isn’t a problem

While this is true to some extent, it’s important to remember that even if you can only see a small account of mold, there may be large amounts of mold you can’t easily detect. Mold can easily spiral out of control when not taken care of, so it’s important to take care of it early!

Myth #6: Painting over mold will solve the problem.

There are many cases of mold actually eating through paint, even when they thought it was mold resistant! Mold must be removed before the area can be painted over.

Myth #7: Bleach removes mold

There are several problems with bleach that make it not optimal for removing mold. Firstly, applying bleach to porous surfaces like wood results in stored moisture, since bleach is a water-based solution. Even if the bleach removes mold, the moisture saturation makes it likely to return in short order. Further, bleach will only kill the mold and may not remove it completely. Removing mold from a surface in its entirety is the only surefire way to make sure it’s gone for good.

Close Menu